Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Date Night Jar

Wow, I thought my last gap was long... I just realized I haven't posted since April...

Sorry.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I decided we needed to have a grownup night, but couldn't decide what to do, so I came up with a way for us to decide what to do AND have a pretty decoration that would remind us to spend a little more time together.

I present to you...

The Date Night Jar

I took a tacky Halloween canister that I found at goodwill and turned it into this!


I started with writing the words I wanted (Date Night) in sharpie on the side of the jar, probably not really neccesary, but I didn't want to free hand it.



 Then I traced over the letters with my hot glue gun.  You don't need to put anything in it or on it, its just to create the raised letters. (Sorry about the picture its really hard to show plain hot glue on such a busy container

 Then you grab a spray paint that works on the type of container you have (mine was cheap plastic so I grabbed a can of Krylon I had left from another project) and tape off wherever you don't want paint.  I didn't want the paint to go over the lid because i loved the mechanism as it was and I wasn't sure if it would be as pretty brown, so I taped off a mostly straight line about an inch and a half away from the opening of the jar.




Then you spray, gently and in thin coats (it took me probably 4 coats to cover the ghosts and pumpkins) If you get impatient and do bigger coats, when it dries it kindof cracks. Make sure to spray with it standing up and with it on its lid so that you get all sides of the glue
 (please forgive me for the picture it was about 103 outside so i took a picture from inside after spraying it)

I took some index cards and cut them in half and both me and my hubby wrote down date ideas.  When my we get an evening or a day to do something together, we pull out a card.



Then we have it sitting on our mantle as a way of reminding us to make sure we keep making time for each other.  Its easy to get into a routine between work, kids, and housework that doesn't necessarily make time for us as a couple, and since us being solid is what made the baby bear happen, I want to make sure we don't lose track of what made us great.



Isn't that Sew cool?


No comments:

Post a Comment